Yes!
40%
Maybe
60%

Total votes : 15

Re: 2016 National Train Show - Indianapolis, Indiana

Postby CFRiad » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:29 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:Lessons learned:
  • Levelling the tables first helps with smooth trouble free running. The matt board shims I made were perfect for this. Need to make more.
  • Levelling the modules was next. The drew levellers work. Need to figure out how to retro fit them to all modules.
  • Using a limited pretested set of equipment reduced the number of problems.

Another thing we learned: How to pack the modules for a long and rough trip, what works, what gets damaged, how valuable is bubble wrap (nudge, nudge, wink, wink, Bjoern)
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:58 pm

One thing that came up again and again in the questions from the public was "I do not have room for an HO layout and the N scale is too small. Is TT the right scale?".

These questions, along with Bruno's thread with the coffee table layout makes me think that having a small, detailed loop layout would make a great addition to our scale's presence at shows. It would fill the gap between the GuiTTar Case and the large TT-Tracks layout.
CFRiad

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:17 am

CFRiad wrote:We even mentioned a "tipping point" in awareness. The Piko booth ran out of TT catalogues.

Well dang that's pretty cool! If only Piko made NA models :(
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:22 am

CFRiad wrote:....makes me think that having a small, detailed loop layout would make a great addition to our scale's presence at shows. It would fill the gap between the GuiTTar Case and the large TT-Tracks layout.

That's exactly what I had at the 2013 National in Atlanta. It also went to a few other shows over the next couple of years. The problem is as soon as people asked where they could buy tt, things got very complicated very quickly.

That layout is at AstroGoat's now. I'm starting my TT-Tracks modules in the hope that I'll mate them to others one day. Perhaps if my South Eastern brethren build a few, that day could be the Orlando National.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby modorney » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:08 pm

> One thing that came up again and again in the questions from the public was "I do not have room for an HO layout and the N scale is too small. Is TT the right scale?".

I look at TT as the "perfect" scale for operating sessions. There is plenty of room for track, and "fingers" to rerail the occasional derailment. Cars are big enough to see the reporting marks (especially if they are a bit oversize - not a bug for operators - a feature). We don't need a huge number of car types - just the popular dozen types.

I will miss Orlando, but will be at the next five conventions - with a trailer.
modorney

Postby dileTTante » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:09 pm

Finally, I've got the use of a laptop and internet access. My own computer seems to be permanently damaged. Anyway, I can't add much to the comments about the show, and Tibi has
provided good photos. We all owe Bill, Bjoern and Tibi a trailer load of thanks for their efforts.

It was worthwhile because I think the national show is the Mt Olympus where the model train gods meet, and it's good for them to see us mere mortals struggling to revive TT scale. Tony Koestler from Model Railroader graced us with his presence during set-up. I talked with a man about getting some TT scale figures for which he has some molds, because I want to populate my passenger trains. He sells Viessmannn figures and accessories. He pals around with Herr Lenz (the DCC Lenz) and rides the trains in Europe with him. I asked Peco about making TT track. And LOTS of model railroaders saw our TT layout. When they ask about availability I tell them the sad news and then urge them to bug suppliers about providing TT supplies. It's shameful that Z scale has so much and we have so little.

And I will continue annoying everyone here about the importance of having TT scale at major train shows.

-Terry C.
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:37 am

dileTTante wrote:And I will continue annoying everyone here about the importance of having TT scale at major train shows.

-Terry C.

And I'm with you.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:49 pm

CFRiad wrote:My personal goal is to take lots of photos.

Bill Dixon wrote:I''ll make some more.

And where are the photos?!.. :wtf: :wink:
Arseny

Postby Bill Dixon » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:56 pm

Arseny wrote:
CFRiad wrote:My personal goal is to take lots of photos.

Bill Dixon wrote:I''ll make some more.

And where are the photos?!.. :wtf: :wink:

My comment was about making more shims. I did make more and brought them with me to the show.
I did take a series of Photos of every module in the display.
I can post those if you wish.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CN-TT » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:58 am

We are home again!!! Tibi dropped us off at our house and we unloaded my stuff and rearranged the rest inside the trailer. Now it's bed time. More in the comming days.
I just wanted to thank Terry for doing all the paperwork to get this thing going!!! And one more big thank you to Tibi for doing this with me, not throwing me and my wife out off the car somewhere between Indianapolis and Vancouver and for "sacrificing" your car for the cause!!!
Would I do it again? NO, only if........!
CN-TT

PreviousNext

Return to Events