2015 NMRA Convention - Portland, OR

2015 NMRA Convention - Portland, OR

Postby sacto-tt » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:43 pm

Anyone else considering (or definitely going) to the 2015 NMRA Convention in Portland, OR? Rich B mentioned this before, so I figured I'd start a topic so it would all be in one place.

I will be going, still trying to decide if I will be flying or driving. I don't have a portable TT layout or modules, but I would be willing to bring some locos and rolling stock if someone will be bringing a layout.

The convention is scheduled for 23-29 August 2015. The website (listed below) doesn't have a lot of details yet but it does list a number of tourist trains that can be ridden and some of the layouts available for touring.

Early Registration ends 31 August 2014, so earlier = cheaper!

http://www.nmra2015portland.org
-Joe-
sacto-tt

Re: 2015 NMRA Convention - Portland, OR

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:16 pm

We are considering going to the 2015 NTS, especially as CaTT has some family that she would love to visit on the planned route, plus it would give Helga a chance to cross a few more states off of the list states (and countries) that she has been driven in.

Then again, we had already pre-packed a lot of our display stuff for the 2014 NTS, and with the VA finding more wrong with me each time they look closer, we couldn't go to Cleveland, as none of my doctors would clear me for such a trip. I have already discussed the 2015, 2016, and 2017 NTS events with my medical team, and the only bit of advice for the 2015 NTS is that whatever venue it is needs to be wheelchair friendly, as they expect my back work to take a long time to heal up (if it ever does), and that any venue needs to be service animal friendly as well (something that was an issue in the past at other train shows).

As CSD and ConducTTor will attest to, the main modules that I built are convertible into their own crate for transport, so if someone really wants to, I am open to the possibility of shipping my portable layout.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Shipsure » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:15 pm

I'll be there working the MTL booth, but will have plenty of time to support TT! I need to know what modular standard we are going with so I can adapt the blanks I have now to fit.

Looking forward to meeting who ever shows up.

JOe
Shipsure

Postby railtwister » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:32 pm

Shipsure wrote:I'll be there working the MTL booth, but will have plenty of time to support TT! I need to know what modular standard we are going with so I can adapt the blanks I have now to fit.

Looking forward to meeting who ever shows up.

JOe

Hi Joe,

Other than the "TT-Tracks" Table Top module standards that Bill Dixon has been working on for several years now, I don't believe that there is a formal set of module standards for TT. For the purpose of setting up a display at a show, Bill's table top modules have a lot of advantages in their small size, light weight, and ease of set up which makes them easy to store and transport.There is also a lot to be said for a module that is small enough to be worked on in your lap, on your workbench, or on the kitchen table (if your wife allows it). I built eight of them myself that can form a small oval shaped layout which can fit on a dining room table. Unfortunately, my wife nixed setting them up in the dining room...

There was some discussion on this list about more typical 2'x4' modules for TT, but it ended with a general consensus that TT modelers are so few in numbers and so spread out geographically that it would be unlikely that everyone could meet at one place and set them up, although with the small size of the table toppers, it at least seems possible, since the individual modules are small enough to even be carried on public transportation.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:49 pm

The 2015 NTS is actually kinda late in the year (late August), which makes it almost impossible for us to go, as school starts in early/mid August around here, so we will not be able to attend the 2015 NTS, but we are willing to send stuff to the show if we can.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:08 am

Rob, post in the Cleveland topic please. I'm moving your posts over there.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:40 am

Rob, read my last post above!
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Planning for 2015 NMRA Convention - Portland, OR

Postby CN-TT » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:30 pm

A busy TT weekend is over and I would like to start planning for the Portland Train show. As anyone knows, this is a big thing for model rairoading in NA and can become even bigger for TT. So, I just wanted to ask all of you, if we should step up our game? What do you think of uniform shirts with a slogan or logo on the front? What about some branded skirts for our tables and/or a banner(s) behind our displays? I would organize everything and even sponsor these items (to a certain amount of money)! Maybe we can do this together!?
Any suggestions? What about our ttnut logo? I saw it on your shirt Alex!!! What about "Bigger than N, smaller than H0!"
Let's go!!!
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:30 pm

I am totally in for something like that and would help subsidize it. I like the idea of uniform shirts and I think there needs to be one professional looking pamphlet to hand out. Table skirts would be cool as well.

I've found from various discussions with people that the best way to "sell" the scale is "less space than HO, more detail than N". I can work on some sort of easy/catchy slogan for this.

I've also wanted to do my own version of a pamphlet for a long time and never got around to it - I'll can make it a priority and run it by you guys when it's done.

This weekend's show in Atlanta was great because a lot of the other exhibitors and some vendors made it a point to walk over and see TT. At the end, the show supervisor/administrator walked over to get all my info because they want me back. That was pretty cool.

Shows I think are the most productive way to get the word out and hopefully get some converts.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CN-TT » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:54 pm

Alex, do you know the pamphlet Bill Dixon has created? Yesterday, I had a chance to revise it. I like it very much. Maybe Bill can post it here in its entirety for all.
I like "less space than HO, more detail than N" :thumbup:
What about "TT is back!"
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Next

Return to Events