2015 NMRA Convention - Portland, OR

Re: 2015 NMRA Convention - Portland, OR

Postby dileTTante » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:45 am

The (un)usual suspects. From (honourary TTer) Graeme's camera.

Left > Right = Terry, Richard, Graeme, Tibi, Bjoern, and Bill
Attachments
P1110662R.JPG
P1110663R.JPG
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:17 pm

Good looking bunch :wink: Super work everyone!

I'm starting to consider building TTTracks modules to replace my modular layout. The smaller lighter pieces should be much easier to transport. Bill are the turnouts motorized (and if so, where/how are you fitting the mechs)?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby milwrd1 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:05 pm

Thanks to all for posting and providing pictures from the 2105 NMRA convention in Portland. Comments and pictures were enjoyed by all :thumbup: :thumbup: The GuiTTar case layout continues to impress!!
milwrd1

Postby Richard-B » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:38 pm

Hmm... ~700 miles downhill (south) was harder than the 'up'...
mostly due to driving Interstate 5 down the California Central Valley at High Noon today... 95 degrees (35 Celsius).

It was, as far as we can tell, the largest gathering of TT-scale aficionados in the last 40+ years... and possibly in recorded history! In addition to those in TTnut shirts... a dozen actual TT modelers stopped by the display.

Kids loved being face-to-face with the trains running on the Table-Top display...
as did their parents, who finally got to put them down off their shoulders for a moment!

EVERYONE loved Bjorn's GuittarCase... so much for the "I don't have room..." argument!!! All the technology and the wireless tablet control made it interesting to an even broader audience.

We suspect a number of the manufacturers who stopped by were at least convinced "TT is real....". This can only help our cause in the long run.

The most common comment among model railroaders was: "I haven't seen TT since ____!" (enter applicable date from last millennium...)

Most common overall comment... "TT-scale is a REALLY good size"!

Thanks to everyone who participated and supported... both on-site and from afar.
A special 'Thank You' to Bill Dixon... without whom this would NOT have come together.
---------------------------------------------------------
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between Shenzhen and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:27 am

Bill Dixon wrote:Home safe and sound. Long drive in the rain. No border issues.
Tired but very happy with the FanTTastic weekend.
Much more to say tomorrow after a good nights sleep.

Was a bit of a slog getting home.
With the help of Bjoern, Terry, Graeme and Richard, I was packed up and rolling by 5:36 PM.
Traffic was light over the bridge to Washington.

I got very sleepy quickly so I stopped at the rest stop at MP 50 and napped . . . to 7 PM.
Then back on the road. Traffic was heavy but moving well. After a few more stops on the way, I reached the border at 11 PM. Through the border in minutes, pick up supper and home by 11:30pm.

I wanted to be home as early as possible to see what damaged the big storm on Saturday had caused.
We had a live Christmas tree in the late 60s that we planted in the back yard. It dropped another branch in the storm.
20150830 Tree fall.jpg
Maybe light damage to the gutters on the neighbours garage. No damage yet, to the fence. The two light fence panels on the right we taken out in the December fall.

The only major issue is that the tree is blocking the route I usually take to drive the van up to the house.
Had to leave the van in the carport and carry everything the extra distance.
Had to wait until the early evening for the rain to stop.

Everything is now safe inside and the journey is now over.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:30 am

Arseny wrote:Bill, thank you very much for your reports! I like them very much! :thumbup:

Bill Dixon wrote:Bar Mills stopped by the table to talk TT. No he is not going to do a run of TT Scale models, not enough of a market yet to justify a production run but . . . he might do a special run of a kit or two and donate them to the cause. We will see what happens.

Good news. I checked the http://www.barmillsmodels.com website, and I like these kits!
If he needs some info about production volume and/or some pre-orders - I'll take almost any kit!
Especially something like gas station, small industry building(s), or railroad station (Whistlestop Junction)...
If you aggregate some pool of orders, please, remember about me! :wink:

Bar Mills came over to our display Sunday and sat and talked for a while.
Sometime later he came back and said, that to help us, he was going to re scale one or two of his kits, make one of each, and donate it to the cause.

So sad to say he is not going to produce them commercially.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:46 am

Model Logging Supply

Sometime ago Model Logging Supply made his Logging Camp bunk houses available in TT-Scale.
Sad to say orders have been light.

He came over to our display Sunday, introduced himself and said I would like to donate this model to the display.
20150830 Model Logging Supply.jpg
Here is the model sitting on my skeleton log car as if it was moving camp.
We talked for a while and discovered that he was sharing a booth at the show. So he walked me over to the booth and to look at the other kits he had.
I ended up purchasing the other three bunk house kits and a small HO scale Log Skidder model that will do as a large one in TT-Scale.

So I found Current Production TT-Scale to buy at the National.

Even better news came of this. He has his kits made by his friend who runs RSlaser Kits
http://www.rslaserkits.com
He (RSLaser) came over to our display and we talked about his kits. He is willing to re scale them to TT-Scale and sell them to us, with possibly a small fee for the re scaling work.

So we have a new supplier for buildings.
Things are looking good for TT.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:50 am

ConducTTor wrote:Good looking bunch :wink: Super work everyone!

I'm starting to consider building TTTracks modules to replace my modular layout. The smaller lighter pieces should be much easier to transport. Bill are the turnouts motorized (and if so, where/how are you fitting the mechs)?

The turnouts are not motorized but you can buy powered versions.

The manual ones have a tiny lever that sticks out of one side of the base. Hard to get to with a big finger. I am thinking about gluing something to it to make it easier to throw the turnouts.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:06 am

Arseny wrote:Undoubtedly, Bill deserves great thanks - not only for his TT-modules, but for his promotion work of TT in the railroad modelling world of North America.
Bill, you are truly evangelist of TT in USA and Canada! :pray:
:thumbup:

My thanks to everyone for the praise.

I should note that Terry said something very important in his post a while ago . .
A small group of guys I did not know at the time, started exhibiting TT-Scale a few years at the Western Rails show in Burnaby. That display is what ultimately got me started on the path that led to the display at NMRA National in Portland this last weekend.

So you small group of TT-Scale modellers deserve some of the credit for getting the display started.

Despite all that I contributed, the display was not a one man band.
Everybody who helped, either at the show, or by showing encouragement or by providing support, deserves some thanks for their help.

So thank you everyone for making the Portland NMRA show a FanTTastic event.
Last edited by Bill Dixon on Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:09 am

A repair desk.

The repair desk despite being necessary, dropped wheels, coupler issues, loco issues, etc., turned out to be popular. People would stop and watch, ask questions or even sit down for a while.

I think if space and personnel are available, a small repair/model building area would be a good addition to a display.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

PreviousNext

Return to Events