2015 Model Train Show Atlanta GA

Re: 2015 Model Train Show Atlanta GA

Postby railtwister » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:36 pm

ConducTTor wrote:...Everything went well until about 2 hours before the day was over when all traction started having problems. I suspect it's the Lenz digital commander or its power supply. Luckily I brought my MRC dual throttle so the action sort of continued. The locos with chips in them were acting funny so hopefully the chips aren't toast.....

Hi Alex,

I have had problems with my MRC Tech II #2800 Dual Power controller scrambling my decoders if I try to run them using DC. It seems that MRC use some kind of pulse for low speed control (even if there is no "Pulse" switch on the pack). The first trouble I had was with a Broadway Limited N scale E-unit equipped with a Paragon II sound decoder that became so screwed up, it required multiple attempts at both hard and soft resets to factory specs before it began to behave anything like normal. The BLI boards have a reset push button switch built into the board, which to use, requires the shell to be removed, then the button must be depressed while the DCC power is cycled on-off. That's the "hard" reset, while the "soft reset" is done by changing the value of a CV. Like I said, it required a combination of several attempts using bot methods to get back to normal either one by itself didn't 't seem to work. More recently, I have had similar issues with three Kato N scale locos (2 each Alco RSC-2's plus an NW2 switcher), all equipped with TCS decoders, but these locos I haven't yet tried to reset. I'm kind of concerned, since these boards don't have the hard reset button like the BLI E-unit did, so the best I can do is try several soft resets, otherwise the boards will need to go back to TCS to see if they can be re-programmed. The NW2 is probably a lost cause anyway, because the erratic decoder caused several "at speed" power reversals, which caused the main drive gear to strip it's press fit shaft, and Kato doesn't offer the repair part. In fact, they seem to be all too happy to inform you that if you have so much as taken the shell off, then any factory warranty is voided due to "customer tampering" (this actually happened to me some years back). As a result, Kato is a brand I tend to avoid, unless the price is very right.

Good luck,
Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:03 pm

Interesting - thanks Bill. When I got home and hooked up the Lenz controller again, it worked fine. My assumption is that after 6.5 hours of running 2 trains continuously, the power supply overheated and wasn't doing its job well anymore. After cooling down it appears to be back to normal.

The implication of the MRC causing decoder irregularities solves the other question.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:07 pm

Here is a picture of CaTTwoman281, AngrySailor302, and ConducTTor with Natasha at the 2015 Atlanta Model Train Show:
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:09 pm

Here is a picture of AngrySailor302, and ConducTTor with Natasha at the 2015 Atlanta Model Train Show:
AstroGoat760

Postby milwrd1 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:23 pm

Alex

Thanks so much for sharing the photos of the Train Show!! I especially enjoyed the pics of loading / unloading the modules in your car. Seems quite congested, but doable. It's always been a matter of available space, weight and ease of moving the modules and associated equipment.
milwrd1

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:47 pm

Glad you like them!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:05 pm

Here are a few more photos of the 2015 Atlanta Train Show:

Here is Natasha with her chosen item for the show, an American Flyer #290 4-6-2 that she picked out of a lot of 6 locos for sale.

Here is the trio of locomotives we bought on the 14th (CaTT's birthday):

Some photos of the S gauge layout:
AstroGoat760

Previous

Return to Events