2013 in Reveiw

2013 in Reveiw

Postby Bill Dixon » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:05 am

As the end of the year is closing fast and I don't have much to other than type on the computer and hack my lungs out with a case of the crud, I thought I would start trying to hit the TT-Scale highlights of 2013.

1) I don't think anybody will disagree with the high point - The MTB SW1200 locomotive.
MTB are to be congratulated for this Good Looking, Good Running, Ready-To-Run North American locomotive!
CSD though SazModel are to be congratulated for distributing this model in North America.

2) The SW1200 on the cover of a North American Model Railroad magazine is the second highlight.
The first TT-Scale cover since RMC in the 1950s.

3) Two TT-Scale layouts at the NMRA National.

4) More TT-Scale display layouts at more shows than ever.

What do you all think the highlights are?
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Re: 2013 in Reveiw

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:43 am

Ditto. It's been a kick Haggis year. CSD made the SW1200 happen - RESPECT!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:47 pm

The SW1200 has been a bright spark. I have one, will hopefully be in a position to buy another.

I'm conscious that without anything much to run behind it, a spark is what it will stay.

On other fronts.

It looks like the GC boxcars (our only top line rolling stock) have become harder to get for many of you, though easier for me. Also the chance of similar high quality stock emanating from that source, which seemed a chance a few years ago, is gone.

IMHO, this has been a year where the limitations of 3D have firmly bitten home after what seemed like years of possibility and many exciting and interesting locos being drafted all over ... they seem to have all gone. The lessons of early N scale ... shells, however nice, without things to stick under them do not a viable scale make.

One used to see new TT things emerging on Shapeways every month or so ... now it has all gone quiet, on all fronts, not just TT. A technology that peaked before its time maybe ? Or just an above the running board technology waiting for a below the running board technology to catch up?

The good thing with 3D at least is that once a model is designed, there is no inventory cost, it can sit there on the server ad infinitum waiting for orders, I suppose.

It has become clear that getting good quality wheels is a challenge. Again, not so hard for me in Europe, but not so easy from the US.

There are rumblings of more commercial input, from Hornby UK, Hornby International and Piko, but again, that is not going to impinge on American outline. Russian TT, on the other hand, seems to have become very quiet.

That's a kind of summary of things that strike me at the moment, in no particular order of importance.

Ben
scaro

Postby milwrd1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:09 am

I believe it would also be worth while to mention that the Gold Coast cars, kits and parts will be available through sazmodel, a plus for the NA TT modelers who live in NA.
milwrd1

Postby ConnRiver » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:52 am

scaro wrote:The SW1200 has been a bright spark. I have one, will hopefully be in a position to buy another. I'm conscious that without anything much to run behind it, a spark is what it will stay. On other fronts. . . . IMHO, this has been a year where the limitations of 3D have firmly bitten home after what seemed like years of possibility . . . shells, however nice, without things to stick under them do not a viable scale make. . . . It has become clear that getting good quality wheels is a challenge. . . . -Ben

Ben, hey,

Wheels and axles, wheels and axles, wheels and axles, wheels and axles, wheels and axles. . . . ;-) Al's approach, imvho, today, is our best hope. Highest end RP/3D reproduction, the resulting item to be used as a casting master. Or masters made from a CNC process. But, wheels and axles, wheels and axles, wheels and. . . .

Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby ConnRiver » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:00 am

Wheels and axles, North American track, wheels and axles, North American track. . . .

Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby Marquette » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:44 am

Also re: the 3D comment - the state of that art is already well beyond what Shapeways offers - even other commercial sources can do better. My friend knows a lot more about this than I do but even a home-built rig can do *vastly* superior printing, and the cost is not ridiculous. So that is still (or will be sooner rather than later) a very, very viable option. So 3D is actually looking better than ever - only Shapeways' limitations are showing; the technology itself is still the most exciting thing this hobby *as a whole* has going for it right now.

Wheels and axles: yes. But do it to a finer standard than the European wheels!!!

Track: I dunno if that is all *that* vital for the moment? Make existing track more readily available in NA, anyone who wants more accurate track can hand lay for the moment.

I think wheels/axles and good-quality trucks of various designs are needed first. We've got Gold Coast's ASF truck - now we need an Andrews, a North American arch bar of some sort, a couple of passenger trucks and a couple of the most common designs of roller-bearing trucks... all at the standard of Gold Coast's truck.

And lastly:

PROMOTION!!!!

And in 2013 we *finally* saw something meaningful start happening on that front, too. That magazine article is a great start to build on.

Has an SW been offered to RMC for review yet? I know Bill Schaumburg is usually interested in hearing about latest TT developments...
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby CSD » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:43 am

Marquette wrote:... Has an SW been offered to RMC for review yet? I know Bill Schaumburg is usually interested in hearing about latest TT developments...

He never responded to my emails.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby j p » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:05 pm

Marquette wrote:Wheels and axles: yes. But do it to a finer standard than the European wheels!!!

I think wheels/axles and good-quality trucks of various designs are needed first. We've got Gold Coast's ASF truck - now we need an Andrews, a North American arch bar of some sort, a couple of passenger trucks and a couple of the most common designs of roller-bearing trucks... all at the standard of Gold Coast's truck.

Those beautiful roller-bearing trucks from Art&Detail have been already forgotten?
I have 2 pairs of those with RP25 wheels. Maybe I should promote them more, with some video showing how the lids turn as on the prototypes.
Four types of older passenger trucks cover my needs so far, which one do we miss?
j p

Postby Arseny » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:10 pm

Marquette wrote:now we need an Andrews, a North American arch bar of some sort

Maybe Peresvet's trucks can work?

diamond.jpg
diamond.jpg (28.05 KiB) Viewed 228 times
Arseny

Next

Return to General Discussion