1937 AAR Standard Design Boxcar Survey

Re: 1937 AAR Standard Design Boxcar Survey

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:33 pm

rhammill wrote:The most interesting thing I see here so far is that it appears that a lot (the majority?) of you are all in the US someplace. I thought TT was primarily a British/European scale.

I think there are a bit more users on the site from Europe than North America but the NA guys post the most. Probably has a lot to do with language barrier.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:39 pm

ConducTTor wrote:
rhammill wrote:The most interesting thing I see here so far is that it appears that a lot (the majority?) of you are all in the US someplace. I thought TT was primarily a British/European scale.

I think there are a bit more users on the site from Europe than North America but the NA guys post the most. Probably has a lot to do with language barrier.

It also might have to deal with the fact that the majority of the forum is dedicated to North American TT models and modeling.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:09 pm

true true
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:57 am

rhammill wrote:Thanks! As I'm sure Marquette will tell you, it's all picked up here and there, he won't have anything to worry about from me. It's just a fascinating subject. Marquette's compilation of USRA single-sheathed cars and clones is really well done, and I'll be digging through that listing myself in more detail.

I have a friend who models in S-scale, so I'm very familiar with the challenge of modeling in a 'less popular' scale. But the prototype information doesn't change, and that's something I can help with.

The most interesting thing I see here so far is that it appears that a lot (the majority?) of you are all in the US someplace. I thought TT was primarily a British/European scale.

Happy modeling!

Randy
--
Randy Hammill

Hullo Randy and welcome.

I've learnt a lot about US prototypes on this list. I used to model N but my eyes were closed to things like Ajax walkways and Dreadnought ends.

I think when one can buy something off the shelf, one doesn't notice details so much. Have to make it yourself, and you learn a lot more about the real thing.

It surprised me to find that a lot of early N models in particular are a mish-mash of available ends, sides or roofs resulting in a lot of injection moulds in fantasy paint schemes that aren't an accurate model of anything .

TT is primarily European ... British TT, or TT3 or 3mm is likewise a mid-sized and reasonably successful scale. TT3 is a builders' scale, Euro 1:120 is more RTR.

Outer colonies of the TT world are New Zealand and Japan, where 1:120 TT on 9mm track is used to model 3'6" prototypes.

I model Australian, which makes me kind of rare.

As for scale, there was confusion over whether it was 3mm/ft or 1:120 right from the go. The common factor and driving force behind it when the motors and track were developed in 1937-38 and then immediately postwar, wasn't so much scale but the 12mm track gauge ... and the ability to set up a small oval of track on a regular dining table. To be able to do this was far more of a commercial breakthrough, and more important to them than scale considerations.
scaro

Postby rhammill » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:47 pm

Makes sense. Thanks!

Yeah, fantasy schemes, mismatched components, and the like aren't restricted to any single scale. Although it has been getting better in HO over the years, you still have to do your research.

Randy Hammill
rhammill

Previous

Return to Prototypes / Models