120 cm x 70 cm Coffe Table Layout

120 cm x 70 cm Coffe Table Layout

Postby Bruno Strasser » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:21 pm

As a complete novice I wonder if some of your members can give some advice.

I have hankered after a model rail layout for years but don't have the space and came across the idea above.Having researched all the various gauges I came across TT which I think is just perfect. I want to model German Railways and HO is too big and N too small.

However is it realistic to build a layout using the area above ? I have managed to obtain an Ikea Ivas Glass Topped Coffee table which I propose to put a layout in. Its about 30 cm deep so plenty scope for buildings etc.

Also I notice Roco have some Z21 sets without rails- would these be compatible with Tillig or Kuehn track ? Any help with potential layouts (ideally oval with two tracks would be gratefully received).

Thanks
Bruno Strasser

Re: 120 cm x 70 cm Coffe Table Layout

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:42 pm

#1 yes Roco sets are compatible with Kuhn and Tillig track
#2 120 X 70 is tight but doable. I would use Kuhn's smallest radius curved track (321mm) or flex track from either company to keep your curve radius within the 70mm width.
#3 given the small dimensions I would use smaller locomotives and shorter cars. It will be easier for them to navigate tight radii and you can fit more in a small space.

Do you know which era you want to model Germany? Or is there no preference? I ask because of #3 above.

If I have time I'll play around with some track plans for the space you have and post them.

Welcome to the site!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bruno Strasser » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:56 pm

I like diesels so modern era for me. Any help is gratefully accepted.

I have ideas to replicate some of the steep sloping vine yards I have seen in the Rhineland and in the east. I have been all over Germany and liked Dresden the best. So tempted to do an east german theme as so much of the rolling stock is from this area/era.

Really excited that TT is possible as I think n gauge is just too small.

How easy is it to adapt the track - using flexible track ?

Also given that it is such a small area would an incline be possible ? Would be nice to work in a small bridge just to make it visually appealing.

Thanks again

Bruno
Bruno Strasser

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jul 02, 2016 3:19 pm

Alright, first thing I would suggest is downloading track planning software and trying out different designs. I've attached a track plan just to get an idea of what is possible for that size. You may or may not like it. I would not do inclines - just not enough space. There are a ton of East German TT models so you should have no problem finding something you like. As I stated before, look for small (short) locos and cars. You will able to fit more of them and they won't look silly in the small space.

As for flex track, that's up to you. I prefer it because it allows me to do whatever I want.

This is done with Kuhn track elements:
Attachments
120 X 70.jpg
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:48 pm

Hello, Bruno!
Welcome to TT!

I am afraid that modern long locomotives and cars (and long trains) will look too ugly on such small layout.
If you want to build small "Coffee Table" 120*70 layout, I would recommend you to use small 2-axle cars and short locomotives. I beleive it means you should model II-III era (1930s-1950s).

Or, maybe, build some mountain region and railroad, but again with short locomotives and cars.

If you strongly want to use modern long locomotives and cars - maybe do not build oval, but small switching yard or station or something like that.

Good luck!
Arseny

Postby Bruno Strasser » Mon Jul 04, 2016 7:57 am

Thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it.

I take on board the advice about inclines - it really is too small. I hope to work in some vine tearraces as they have in Germany so a tunnel or two here and there. I have quite a deep area under the glass top of the table and am thinking of using styrofoam - to raise the leavel of the track above a small village area. with station etc. I might even manage a bridge on one side if I can cut in to the foam and create a valley.

With regards to the rolling stock I prefer goods wagons to carriages in any case - I notice Roco have some modern diesels coming in around 11 to 12 cm in length i.e. Roco 36307. I take it these would look OK with Tillig goods wagons. They have a weinkesselwagen which would work well with my vineyard theme. However, I think I would have to adapt the coupling system - how straight forward is that ?

Thanks for the suggested Layout -I notice there are lots of points on it - more reason to go for the Z21 system as they can be remotely operated. As for track planning I have downloaded SCARM - but have found it very very cumbersome to use. Is there a better system you can recommend ? Kuehn track can be printed on A4 paper and I have done this and plan to toy with it over the weekend on a scale of 1:1 to see what is possible.

Thanks again for your help. I hope to keep you updated with pictures as the layout takes shape. :thumbup:
Bruno Strasser

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:39 pm

All TT manufacturers' models will couple with each other - you would just need to change the couplings. Easy to do - pull out the old coupling, push in the new one. The Roco 36307 should be fine. I wouldn't go any longer than that though.

For track planning, if you have a PC, get Anyrail software. It's easy to use and the demo version (free) will let you use up to 50 pieces which is plenty for your layout.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CFRiad » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:17 am

Bruno Strasser wrote:As for track planning I have downloaded SCARM - but have found it very very cumbersome to use. Is there a better system you can recommend?

Hello Bruno, welcome to the forum.

I use AnyRail for track planning. It has lots of features and you can do a basic layout quite easily: select the track library you want to use, drag the pieces onto the stage, snap them together and you have a layout in no time. It gets progressively complicated as you go for more advanced features, such as elevation changes easement parabolae, etc, or large/elaborate layouts. It has two disadvantages: it is not free (50 €, I believe) and it only has a Windows version, no Mac OS X.
Last edited by CFRiad on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:32 am

ConducTTor wrote:All TT manufacturers' models will couple with each other - you would just need to change the couplings. Easy to do - pull out the old coupling, push in the new one.

One note here: All *modern* TT manufacturers' models will couple with each other easily, as they all use the NEM standard coupler socket. If you use models from more than one manufacturer, select a coupler type that you like and buy that type for all cars and locos.

If you use older models that do not have the NEM socket, things are still solvable, but you need to do a bit more planning. Tilling makes a coupler that fits in most of the BTTB or older Tillig models.
CFRiad

Re: 120 cm x 70 cm Coffee Table Layout

Postby Bruno Strasser » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:04 am

After some time I am now able to start my layout. I am considering purchasing a digital starter set to get me started but at the moment I can only find the Tillig 01207 which is suitable.

https://www.tillig.com/Produkte/minishopliste-01207.html

Would this be compatible with the Roco z21 dcc control system ? I can only see the Roco 35008 which might be suitable but can't find a supplier.

http://www.roco.cc/en/product/227969-z21-0-0-0-0-0-001/products.html

The Roco 35018 is not due to launch until December (I take these startsets are launched to coincide with Christmas).

http://www.roco.cc/en/productsearch/0-35018-0-0-0-0-0-0/products.html

I think a starter set would be the most cost effective way to start adding to it as I progress. Purchasing the components individually is going to be far more expensive particularly for the z21. Alternatively I could go down the route of analogue but I find the thought of the additional wires for the controller a hassle and operating the layout from my ipad more appealing.

I am itching to get started so any advice is very much appreciated. :thumbup:
Bruno Strasser

Next

Return to Layouts / Track Plans