Vancouver train show March 18 2012

Vancouver train show March 18 2012

Postby dileTTante » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:22 pm

Now into the new year please take notice of the train show in Vancouver BC Canada Sunday 18 March 2012. (http://www.wcra.org/westernrails.html) This show is only Sunday, not like the two-day show in November.

From the reactions on this forum one would think we at the show are a major force in promoting TT scale. The reality is that a maximum of five people are involved with the TT display, and most times fewer are on hand. Two of us have low income and can't bring latest, sophisticated products to the show. Until Bill Dixon joined the effort we didn't have a layout. The good thing is that with TT scale being so rare in N. America, it doesn't take much to attract attention. Anyone with TT models can display them at a show and increase public awareness of the scale.

However, since we have made a start, here's the opportunity for others to help us indirectly, possibly by sending models to exhibit, or information to give to visitors, or photos or videos to show (probably from a laptop computer). Anyone wishing to contribute is welcomed to communicate with me. Understandably, reports of our last show might make people reluctant to risk their models with us. One of the improvements I want to see at the show in March is a security barrier to keep visitors' hands off the layout. And I think the technical problems which we had with the layout will be resolved by Bill Dixon's planned improvements. I'd like to have the layout secure from meddling but another part of the exhibit more accessible for conversations with visitors and for displaying static models. (It's the moving trains which attract children's hands.)

Bill's a busy guy and the show is not far off, so I'm just doing what I can to help things along. Any suggestions or questions are welcomed.

-Terry C
Last edited by dileTTante on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
dileTTante

Re: Vancouver train show March 18 2012

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:51 pm

For my part, I'll do my best to send something like this for the show: tt-nut-ge-u30b-t868-430.html#p13874
I've heard of many great leaders. I've yet to hear of a single great committee.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:01 am

dileTTante wrote:Now into the new year please take notice of the train show in Vancouver BC Canada Sunday 20 March 2012. (http://www.wcra.org/westernrails.html) This show is only Sunday, not like the two-day show in November.

. . .

One of the improvements I want to see at the show in March is a security barrier to keep visitors' hands off the layout. And I think the technical problems which we had with the layout will be resolved by Bill Dixon's planned improvements. I'd like to have the layout secure from meddling but another part of the exhibit more accessible for conversations with visitors and for displaying static models. (It's the moving trains which attract children's hands.)
-Terry C

The problem with hands is that the layout was on a table that just fit. there was little space around the edges.
If we go with a two deep table display surface that will give us 5 feet. With the new four foot corners we could have up to a foot of clearance on the front edge. If we put a space between the tables we can have more clearance.

I am not sure who else is coming yet but I think a two table wide display might be large enough, with the display side being two tables deep. That would give one full eight foot table for display models. There would also be room for a sceniced straight display track.

I will contact Jeremy Davy (he is in charge of the show) and see if we can get that space and have it close to Central Hobbies so i can lurk there.

Bill Dixon
North Vancouver, BC
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby CSD » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:57 am

I think I will bring myself.
CSD

Postby dileTTante » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:33 am

The train show coming up is a one day event and I'm concerned that we may have a good number of really nice models to run with only six hours to do it and do it right.

The idea for our TT display is to use three tables each 8 ft x 2 1/2 ft. Two tables end to end along the front, and one table behind. The front and rear tables (8 ft x 5 ft combined) hold Bill Dixon's modular layout -- a double oval. Bill will put a spur track to one corner, and I will make a long straight module to sit on the other front table and connect to the spur track. The straight will have probably four parallel tracks. These are for static display and for setting up trains for running to and from the main layout.

That's the plan so far. I hope the proposed arrangement will allow the most models to be operated in the reduced time, while keeping setup and handling to a minimum. I just thought this up a couple days ago, so any suggestions are welcome.

I have to provide a list of participants for name tags; Marquette can you spell out for me what you'd like on yours (PM is ok) ?

Set up for the show is 3 - 6 PM (15h - 18h) Saturday 17 March. Bill Dixon will mostly be concerned with Central Hobbies display. I will be there to set up the TT stuff. Please note that the actual date of the show is 18 March. I originally posted that it was on the 20th which is completely wrong, and I apologize for the error. The post has been corrected, but I can't change the thread title.

Felix, if you think you can't get to the show can you send some TT items for us to display? Hopefully, we'll have U30B from Alex, too.
That's all for now.
-Terry
dileTTante

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:47 pm

After discussion Terry C. and I have decided that this is what the Western Rails display will be.
Western Rails 2012 Setup.jpg
Western Rails 2012 Display

Digitrax DCC on the main display.
Possible ECOS on the other display track.

There may not be enough table space for other displays but we can always get a third table.

Bill Dixon
North Vancouver, BC
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:06 am

I really need to get the UB to a showable state....unfortunately the 3D files have gotten too big for my current PC to process. Already ordered a new one though :)
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:39 am

Here's a plan for the set-up extension to the main layout. Pretty simple. I used free SCARM track planner for Windows but I run it on Linux with WINE. The track library is Tillig TT and helped me figure what to order. Also Bill has information about Tillig track on his TT Tracks website. The two colours indicate two modules, combined length of 4-5 feet, and one foot wide. To reduce cost maybe flex track will work on the blue portion with small sections of bedding track at the end for locking to the next module. There should be room on the table for other things. Location will depend on whether the spur is at the front or the rear of the layout. CSD and anotherTTnut want to bring a display track, but I don't know the particulars.
-Terry
Attachments
Train_show_setup_tracxs.jpg
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:13 pm

I'll have a non running version of the UB sent to the show. Now, which one of you was it that contacted me about sending it to you (too many PMs)?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:21 am

Me. Put couplers on it so we can pull it around.
-Terry C.
dileTTante

Next

Return to General Discussion