Turnout wiring

This sub forum is meant to be a model library. Feel free to add any information / pictures and your own reviews on models. If a topic on your model already exists, please add to it. Otherwise, start a new one.

Turnout wiring

Postby alexsmith17131 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:16 pm

Newbie, here.
I’ve decided to try TT-scale modeling, since it seems the best size for space available.
I purchased a Tillig starter set. The controller is “Art.-Nr.: 08132.”
The instructions are in German, so that’s a drawback. I’ve used google translate, and while the result is more or less gibberish, I could decipher enough to figure out that the instructions for the turnout that was provided are inadequate.
The turnout (switch) has three wires: red, green, and black. I have no clue what to do with them. I suspect the power is derived from the tracks, energized through the controller. I can't see how they might be connected to the controller. If that is correct, then what do I do with the wires?
Any insight?
Alex
alexsmith17131

Re: Turnout wiring

Postby krokodil » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:32 pm

The answer is simple
Black - Common
Green - straight
Red. - divert

They work with max 16V AC or DC voltage.

The wiring is simple. Connect the black wire to one terminal on your power supply. With 2 pushbutton you can apply current from the second terminal of the power supply to one of the green/red wire.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby alexsmith17131 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Thank you for your reply.
Image 1 shows the connections to the controller. The two uncovered holes take the wires to power the track. The two covered by orange tape holes must be the accessory (turnout) connection – for the green and red wires. I’m assuming that it doesn’t matter which wire goes in which hole. The black should be attached to a ground.
Image 2 shows the controller from the top. The knob on top controls forward and backward motion. There is no button or lever to activate the turnout.
How would one activate the turnout?
Attachments
IMG_9485.JPG
Image 1. Controller from the front.
IMG_9478.JPG
Image 2. Controller from top.
alexsmith17131

Postby dileTTante » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:38 pm

The controller runs the train. It doesn't control the turnout. It supplies power for the turnout from the accessory outlet. The turnout does not get power from the track. If it did, you could not operate the turnout when track power is off and the locomotive not running.

Connection to the turnout is as krokodil described. Black goes from turnout to accessory terminal as common wire. Another wire from other accessory terminal goes to two pushbuttons which you must provide, or maybe there's a control available from Tillig. Push one button momentarily and it connects the wire to green wire of the turnout, or push the other button momentarily to connect the wire to the red wire of the turnout.

Instead of using the accessory output of the controller, you could use a separate power supply to power the turnout and other accessories. Power packs and turnout controls are probably available cheaply second hand at train shows.

-Terry C
dileTTante

Return to TT Scale Models