Re: TT Scale 2011 NEW Models

Re: Re: TT Scale 2011 NEW Models

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:49 pm

Upon further thought regarding the mallet, it could be a fantastic project to modify into a US loco. For those with $2K to burn that is.
I've heard of many great leaders. I've yet to hear of a single great committee.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Dibbedabb » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:18 am

Hey guys!

I'm always happy that I'm not a steam loco fan. :wink:

Kres' 628.4 was announced in Nuremburg in February 2010 I believe. It is already delayed but will hopefully be available soon (that's a model I want).
Tillig's TRAXX locos were announced in Nuremburg this February. They look quite good, could become one of their better models. In many cases Tillig does unneccessary and annoying careless mistakes - even (or especially?) in the for TT so called most important era IV DR. I'm also waiting for Tillig's class 183 (Siemens ES64 U4) announced in Nuremberg, too. But this one will only be available next year.
Nobody really understands why Tillig also annunced a P8. Not only that there are many other locos that could be done and sold well, they also try to compete with Roco. Although Roco's last TT models (maybe besides the 18201) haven't been the biggest and best thing on the planet, Tillig's locos were always worse (especially with THOSE headlights...). And another important fact is that Roco has one year available to cover the market's needs, before Tillig's P8 will hit the stores - I would have chosen another model.
Dibbedabb

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:31 am

I don't understand Tillig's P8 either. I'm not into steam so I don't particularly care about the model itself but as a business decision it seems highly asinine to me.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:08 pm

I do not undrstand it too. Maybe they want to compete with Roco, but it is a very strange decision.
There are a lot of different locomotives they can produce without competition...
Arseny

Postby JBr » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:55 pm

Arseny wrote:There are a lot of different locomotives they can produce without competition...

And yet Goggles are produced by three producers...

Sometimes the development takes too long and even if a competitor starts the same project in between (and finishes sooner), it may be wiser to finish the work instead of scraping it. Who knows how much money was already invested and would be lost in such case. Finishing the model gives at least some share of the market (although smaller than if they were the only one to produce it) and at least part of all investments is repaid.
XpressnetLib - .NET class library for DCC model railroad control
JBr

Postby scaro » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:41 pm

true enough. and if they co-operated with each other on what to produce in the first place, there would be less effort wasted, but we'd likely have a thread on this forum accusing them of price-fixing and market manipulation. unfortunately capitalism is wasteful; it's a no-brainer if you don't have either collusion between producers or central command of economic production.
It's *your* TT. It will be as good or as bad as *you* want it to be.
scaro

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:08 am

So here's the scoop on Tillig's BR 38:

The project was started 3 years ago and was basically ready to go. Then "someone" from "Roco" called "Tillig" and told them "we heard you're doing a 38. Don't bother because we're doing one in 2011. The market isn't big enough." So......the old Tillig head honcho scrapped the project. In comes new head honcho at Tillig and says "all the work is done and money spent - why aren't we producing it?" So there you have it.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:39 pm

Tillig released a P8 years ago. I think it was a Jatt model.
CSD

Postby Arseny » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:21 am

CSD wrote:Tillig released a P8 years ago. I think it was a Jatt model.

Maybe, maybe; it's likely so
Arseny

Postby Dibbedabb » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:38 am

That's true, but it was more or less produced in metal, and Tillig didn't have any experience with metal (even less than JaTT had). The quality was corresponding, and Tillig dumped all these models.
Dibbedabb

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models