Sweden

These are prototypes which either exist as TT scale models or can be modeled from existing models.

Re: Sweden

Postby Sventton » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:27 am

Yes, his samples photo shows them to be a bit "rough".
Sventton

Postby Sventton » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:27 pm

Ore wagons received and Yes, with the FUD Shapeways material smoothing these out by sanding is not really an option. They are quite delicate and sanding would just expose new gaps while smoothing others and you could literally sand away through a side without ever getting them smooth. Anyone have an idea for "filling" rather than sanding? I'm thinking that might be the answer, perhaps the Conductor or others who produce with Shapeways have a thought on beating the FUD propensity for air holes. I have a coupe of shells in N scale made from FUD and they are not at all like these, more like a plastic, these are more like a light way Styrofoam almost. Supposedly the same??? Thanks for any ideas. Otherwise.... a real neat prototype which could use North American style couplers and trucks to finish. John
Sventton

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:56 pm

I got nothing. I gave up on Shapeways for anything that is a viewable surface.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Sventton » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:23 am

Yeah, I should have read the fine print also as it is printed with White Strong & Flexible material rather than FUD, which I don't have an issue with once cleaned up. I will give it a best shot and see what comes of them.
Sventton

Postby MacG » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:24 pm

Sventton wrote:... Anyone have an idea for "filling" rather than sanding? ...

Carsten uses sandblasting. I use sandpaper solo or glued on matches.

The problem is the support material. With Black Hi-Def Acrylate you have a smoother finish of the side walls. Because it is printed with a DLP-Printer.
MacG

Postby areibel » Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:07 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I got nothing. I gave up on Shapeways for anything that is a viewable surface.

You might like the new black acrylic- back in December I ordered one of Jes_leyva's SD45 shells, it is much nicer than the FUD or FXD ones I have and the clean up was simple. It has a little bit of an oily coating compared to the waxy stuff, but a soak in some warm water and Dawn dish soap took care of it.
areibel

Postby Sventton » Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:09 pm

Lots of online talk about finishing WS&F, apparently soaks up paint like a sponge unless treated....lots of heavy gloss medium followed by very fine sanding, more gloss......etc. :cry:
Sventton

Previous

Return to Prototypes by Country