FreeLance Caboose Build

Re: FreeLance Caboose Build

Postby areibel » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:54 am

Looks Great Bernd! So you scribed the brass by using a table and putting the scriber in the chock then just running the table back and forth? I've tried scribing lines by hand and they don't usually turn out so nice, I'm looking for another method.
Al
areibel

Postby Bernd » Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:48 pm

areibel wrote:Looks Great Bernd! So you scribed the brass by using a table and putting the scriber in the chock then just running the table back and forth? I've tried scribing lines by hand and they don't usually turn out so nice, I'm looking for another method.
Al

I'll take some pictures of the procedure and post them, perhaps a video too.

A member on another forum noticed that the scribing on one side would make the big door not be opposite the other sides door. I forgot to flip the side over. Glad he caught that before I made a bunch of sides.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:59 pm

This is the set up I use to scribe 4" wide boards into the half hard sheet brass.

The tool is a carbide scriber replacement end. It's very sharp. The scriber end is Loctited into a brass piece that has a hole in the other end to hold the spring. The whole assembly goes into the holder and that gets fastened into the mill spindle.

Here the scriber is mounted into the spindle. The CNC mill takes care of the rest.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:28 am

Very cool :)
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:16 pm

Here's a video of how the scriber works on the Sherline CNC mill.

I do five passes, with each pass dropping the Z axis .010" for a total of .050". This puts more pressure on the spring loaded tool to scribe deeper. A cutter was not used because of the unevenness of the brass sheet. The spring loaded scriber follows the unevenness better.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:54 pm

Thanks man, I enjoy these manufacturing tidbits. In a different life manufacturing would have been my profession.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:46 am

ConducTTor wrote:Thanks man, I enjoy these manufacturing tidbits. In a different life manufacturing would have been my profession.

More to come as time permits and the project moves along. Stay tuned. :wink:

Bernd
Bernd

Postby Bernd » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:36 pm

The ends have been milled and are ready for clean up.

One end wall has been finished. The door tabs are cut through and the sides have the rough edges cleaned up.

Next the sides of the caboose will get cut out.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConnRiver » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:25 pm

Bernd wrote:Here's a video of how the scriber works on the Sherline CNC mill. . . .Bernd

Bernd, clever and nifty! Got questions, if you don't mind:

1 - Where'd you get the scriber?
2 - Do you have an idea of the width of the scribe line on the surface at 0.010" deep? At 0.050" deep?

Thanks much,

Brian
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby Bernd » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:59 am

ConnRiver wrote:
Bernd wrote:Here's a video of how the scriber works on the Sherline CNC mill. . . .Bernd

Bernd, clever and nifty! Got questions, if you don't mind:

1 - Where'd you get the scriber?
2 - Do you have an idea of the width of the scribe line on the surface at 0.010" deep? At 0.050" deep?

Thanks much,

Brian

I love questions. I like showing off what I know and do. :shock: :roll: Just kidding. I don't mind questions at all.

Ok, the carbide scriber I got off of E-bay. I did a search on "carbide scribers" and came up with several vendors. I looked through what was found on the search. The scriber is a replacement point for a hand scriber with a very fine point. Since the scriber has a very sharp cone point on it is difficult to determine the depth of every scribe line. I just kept adding increments of .010" till I got something I liked.

The ideal scriber would be one with a "V" shape. I'd have to keep the spindle from rotating. The other problem is the way it computes the G code. The scriber scribes back and forth dropping the "Z" axis .010" each time.

I'm quite satisfied with this method. The nice thing is that once a side is programed I can make as many as is needed. Was contemplating actually of producing a short run completely assembled less trucks and couplers model. Will have to see how the first few turn out.

Bernd
Bernd

PreviousNext

Return to Builders' Corner