Post your photos and video links here

Electric loco shed/repair shop

Postby Christtking » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:03 pm

DSCF2280.JPG
DSCF2285.JPG
DSCF2286.JPG
DSCF2294.JPG
DSCF2299.JPG

Here is my replica of a real life? locomotive shed/repair shop. I came up with this idea after seeing a photo of a BR112.1 posted on the Internet a few years back. In the background I've spotted (part of) a building (presumably of moderm type) resembling a locomotive shed or a repair shop. I have no idea what part of Germany it is located. I had no dimensions and I started scratch building it in summer of 2006, on and off until I stopped the project in summer of 2008. I'm still adding details to the building. Like I said, this is an imaginary building what I've created, based on a real life replica. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, any info are welcome. I know that this building is out there somewhere in Germany.
Last edited by Christtking on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christtking

Re: Electric loco shed/repair shop

Postby Christtking » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:14 pm

DSCF2287.JPG
DSCF2288.JPG
DSCF2292.JPG
DSCF2295.JPG
DSCF2300.JPG

Some more photos of my electric loco shed/repair shop.
Christtking

Postby AngrySailor302 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:02 pm

Looks good, but I can't help but notice that there is no accommodation in the doors for the catenary wire. I am not familiar with the prototype for the shed you have built, but all storage and repair shops that I have seen thus far that are for locomotives (power cars) that use pantographs and/or trolley poles for power have such lines going into the shop to allow for the locomotives to enter and egress under their own motive effort.
All Hail the Almighty Zeke!
AngrySailor302

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:26 pm

I like it - what did you make it out of?
I've heard of many great leaders. I've yet to hear of a single great committee.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Christtking » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:35 pm

To AngrySailor302:Thank you for the info. I did not think about the catenary. I will have to apply some new doors. Or it might be suitable for diesels only. It just crossed my mind!
To Conducttor: Thank you! Most of the stuff like the roof (metal siding art. # 4530), trimmings, top sides of the roof and the rain gutters were made from styrene structural shapes (strips and sheets) available from "EVERGREEN SCALE MODELS". The roof vents and air conditioning equipment were purchased as add-on details for HO scale (American buildings) purchased at the local shop (don't have the bag anymore), the pits are "AUHAGEN", the rails from PECO (HOm), the floor (base) also styrene sheets (art .# ?), the ladders for the roof access are made by "PLASTRUCT" (styrene structural shapes, art. # ?) I think I used the HO scale one, I made the side clocks, some flat bars made of brass for the ladders' handles (manufacturer ?), the windows' frames also from square shapes styrene, the double doors for maintenance workers were from an N scale POLA kit, (and some art), the DB (AG) logo from "BUSCH" (N and TT scale dry transfers, art. # ?), the clear light holder (fixture) above each door for warning flashing yellow lights were cut into square shapes from a clear plastic bar (manufacturer ?), the main walls were cut out from plastic sheets immitaing bricks (manufacturer, I think "AUHAGEN"), the side windows' frames from "EVERGREEN SCALE MODELS" (square shapes), the see thru windows clear plastic sheets (smoke color), the warning stripes (tiger) myself on the computer, folding doors guiding rails from styrene shapes, the folding door (half) from a POLA building (N scale), the inside walls of the shop flat shape styrene. Still need to add (inside), some blinking yellow lights (LED s or wheat of grain lightbulbs) on top of each door, interior ceiling tubular lights, "I" or "H" shape support columns, some work benches, some tools, some machinery, some workers (maybe a welder too?), some catenary wires, lifts, etc
Last edited by Christtking on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christtking

Postby areibel » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:27 am

Christtking wrote: I did not think about the catenary. I will have to apply some new doors. Or it might be suitable for diesels only. It just crossed my mind!

You could check and see what your prototype did- you might not need to change your doors!
I remember seeing a website about the facilities that the Pennsylvania RR used to maintain their electric locomotives, the GG-1's and the P-5's. The shop they used didn't run caternary inside, it was evidently too dangerous to have the high voltage lines inside. They used a small shop diesel to move them in and out, and would use a bigger locomotive (steam or diesel) to shove or pull them if needed. It would give you an excuse for another locomotive!
areibel

Postby Christtking » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:54 pm

To areibel: Thank you very much for the info! Not a bad idea!
Christtking

Postby LVG1 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:49 pm

Well done. :thumbup:
You've met the typical design of modern railroad buildings in Germany. There were several loco sheds and repair shops of that style built in the last years. So you can use it for eras V and VI.
Because a declining number of depots and repair plants is responsible for a roughly constant number of locos, most of these buildings are larger. Modern loco sheds with only two tracks are rather rare. But on the other hand, they're optimal for the limited space on model railroad layouts.

But to me it looks kind of overcrowded.
So for instance one ladder would be enough. If two ladders are installed, it will usually be a clearly larger building with many times that roof area. Additionally the ladders look oversized. And the safety guard of ladders like these ones usually start at a height of about 3 meters or so. :think:
And on a German roof you will usually only find roof vents (and chimneys on older buildings) but no air conditioning equipment. It will usually be installed inside the building—preferably on floor level for easier maintenance. Additionally I've never heard of a locomotive shed or repair shop with air conditioning (at least in Germany). :problem:

But the general impression of your building is quite good! :thumbup:

By the way:
Omiting catenary inside buildings is common practice in Germany, too—especially in buildings which are accessible via turntables or "Schiebebühnen" (what's the English term for those platforms with track which move sideways?).
But in these cases, the space for a raised pantograph won't be needed. If no catenary is planed to be installed inside the building, the builder will save money by installing lower doors. So there will hardly be an excuse for omiting the catenary in that building—especially considering the mountings for the catenary's carrying ropes above the doors (or are these cubes intended to be something else?). :wink:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lifes!
LVG1

Postby Christtking » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:25 pm

To LVG 1: Thank you again! I like the comment (s)! You are right about all the things listed above. Little modifications here and there will be performed on the building, no doubt. Those are the things we(especially myself) like to hear about here in the States. I can not find the time to travel anymore since I started the current job that I have, I work 6 days a week sometimes 7, and sometimes only 4/week. This job keeps me away from my hobby and from taking long vacations (at least 2 weeks in a row). Like I said, I appreciate everyone's input about this kind of building or anything similar to it. It really helps! About the ladders, which one do you recommend I have to remove? I'm thinking the one in the front of the shop will dissapear and I will leave the one in the back of the shop and cut in half. The roof will get a new look by removing the equipment.
The cubes are kind of my idea. When I last visited Germany in 2002, I saw the maintenance shop at Berlin- Lichtenberg that above each door they had some flashing yellow lights inside some clear plastic cubes (fixtures) and I thought those might be used to warn employees (workers, train engineers, etc). I am not sure exactly what they are. My original idea was not to use catenary because of the danger of electrocution (thinking of real life hazards). The "Shiebebuehne" english translation I believe it is "transfer table".
Some day if I get the time, I'm thinking to build another one of similar design but bigger (wider and longer) one, like you've mentioned. I wish I had some photos of the real building, that would help some, also. Or, It might be easier to sent some photos to AUHAGEN and maybe they will come up with something better. Meanwhile I will not start bulding anything else without having at least a few photos of the project.
Christtking

Postby CSD » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:35 pm

LVG1 wrote:... "Schiebebühnen" (what's the English term for those platforms with track which move sideways?)...

Christtking wrote:... english translation I believe it is "transfer table"...

They are also referred to as a traverser.

Nice looking building.
CSD

Next

Return to Photos / Videos