Electric loco shed/repair shop

Post your photos and video links here

Re: Electric loco shed/repair shop

Postby LVG1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:02 am

Christtking wrote:I wish I had some photos of the real building, that would help some, also.

I would really like to provide you with photos. But unfortunately, my camera has been damaged. And I currently lack the money to repair it or to buy a new one. :cry:
Additionally, I'm not up-to-date where new maintenance facilities have been built within the recent years. So I'ld have to search for them first. :crazy:

CSD wrote:
Christtking wrote:... english translation I believe it is "transfer table"...

They are also referred to as a traverser.

Thank you both very much! :smile:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lifes!
LVG1

Postby Christtking » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:33 pm

To CSD: Thank you!
To LVG1: No rush! Take care of your priorities first. I have the same problem (kind of), I have an old camera (not that old) and I think it's time for me to get a new one so I can take close ups of my models, to show clearly the extra details that I'm adding to my models.
Christtking

Postby LVG1 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:51 am

LVG1 wrote:
Christtking wrote:I wish I had some photos of the real building, that would help some, also.

I would really like to provide you with photos...

Now I have some photos of a modern style building of this kind.
It looks a little different because it has no clinker walls—at least its main segment.

I took this photo with a friend's camera on March 21, 2009.
Actually, the focus was on the Desiro DMU (series 642). But it's hard to find a point where you can see the entire building. So this is the best compromise I could find.

It's at the old Dresden-Altstadt depot. For several years the annual steam locomotive meeting happened there—that time the largest event of this kind in Europe. But eventually Deutsche Bahn dismantled the middle section of this area. And in 2007 they built this new maintenance hall for DB's commuter trains there.

The aerial photo shall give an overview of the building. It's from Bing Maps because the aerial imagery of Google Earth and Google Maps is too old to show this structure.
As you can see, the only mountings on the roof are the light domes and some exhaust outlets.

The central part of this building (light grey or aluminium) is 151 metres (495 ½ feet) long and 26 metres (85 ½ feet) wide and contains the maintenance facilities with two tracks.
The western part (blue) is the wash plant and can also be used to unfreeze vehicles. It's 147 metres (482 ¼ feet) long and 7.65 metres (25 feet) wide.
The eastern part (clinker) is clearly lower. It contains the offices, workshops, stores, locker rooms, lavatories and break rooms. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact dimensions.

The following six photos were taken by another friend using his smart phone on April 7, 2013. He's active under the nickname "Wollex" at the German Drehscheibe-Online forum (http://www.drehscheibe-foren.de/foren/).
It was kind of "open day" when we were there. So we even had a chance to have a look into the hall.
The first image shows the southern hall with a Desiro DMU (series 642).

On the second one you can see a double decker coach in the centre of the hall.

The third one shows a series 612 tilting DMU in the northern hall.

As you can see, the hall is mainly lighted through the roof domes.

On their open day they showed various wheel sets of passenger cars and MU's at the northern end of the building.
You can also see the metal cover of the building's side walls and the dimensions.

At the northern end of the building you can see the ends of the catenary in front of the building. But on the other hand you can also see that the building is prepared for a later addition of catenary inside because the doors are high enough for catenary and their gaps for it are only provisorily closed.
The middle door is for road vehicles providing the facility with equipment and replacement parts.

Interestingly, the wash plant (blue) is equipped with catenary inside. So you can see at the southern end of the building how the feedthrough is implemented.

I hope, these images will be a good inspiration for your next projects.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lifes!
LVG1

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:06 pm

Cool pics :)
I've heard of many great leaders. I've yet to hear of a single great committee.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Christtking » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:38 pm

Thanks LVG1! Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Christtking

Previous

Return to Photos / Videos