decoder for BTTB

decoder for BTTB

Postby dileTTante » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:56 am

Does anyone have experience with BTTB motors and DCC decoders? I have run a VT137 triebwagen with a basic Digitrax decoder for hours at a time (train show) with no problems. I have just put a decoder into a BTTB BR254 (E94) and it runs well enough on its own, but with a train attached it bogs down almost to a stop after running five or ten minutes. This is the first time I've run a whole train powered by the old motor, so it is a new experience. The drive train in the E94 is complex and I suspect the motor is not happy, although I have cleaned and lubed the whole loco. Other locomotives with newer motors run fine. Is the motor the problem? Or the decoder? Or both?
-Terry C.
dileTTante

Re: decoder for BTTB

Postby j p » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:41 am

Have you disassembled and cleaned the motor too?
j p

Postby dileTTante » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:18 pm

No. It looked difficult to do. I took out the brushes and cleaned the commutator, and put a drop of oil in the end bearing. But now that you have mentioned it, I have another motor from a BR86 that is apart and I see how the motor can be opened up. I'll put it in the E94 as is to see if there's a difference and open the E94 motor. Thanks for the idea.
dileTTante

Postby dileTTante » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:25 pm

First I replaced the E94 motor with one from a BR86. No improvement in running. I took apart the original E94 motor. The mechanism is simple, just plastic bushings at each end of the rotor shaft. With that motor back in the E94 I began to have further problems with JMRI and Sprog, no more USB connection. Last night Panel Pro quit doing anything and I had to change to Decoder Pro in programming mode. Without control of the Sprog I dug out a DCC Hornby Elite which I don't like using because it's flaky. And suddenly the E94 began running like a champ. It looks like there was nothing wrong with the locomotive at all. Now I have to see about the JMRI and Sprog, since I can't afford a Z21.

Sigh. With TT there's always something. I apologize for wasting people's time with this topic.
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:47 pm

dileTTante wrote: I can't afford a Z21.

Get a SPROG II. I paid ~$100 for mine.
The new Great Empire is already upon us. It's not China. It's international. It's the banks.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:44 pm

I guess I don't write well. I have a Sprog II. Apparently it's not working properly.
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:17 pm

So get a new one....it's pretty cheap :)
The new Great Empire is already upon us. It's not China. It's international. It's the banks.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:46 am

We look at things differently. First, if the Sprog failed then why would I want to get another one that will fail? Second, my income is a government pension. $100 may be nothing to you but it is a significant cost for me. Actually, given the circumstances I shouldn't have this hobby at all.

And I think the Sprog is reliable so I've experimented some more. I downloaded and installed latest JMRI, I used a different USB cable just in case, and I rebuilt the roster for three locomotives.

The power supply for the Sprog is 12v. The motors are 12v but Sprog runs trains a bit slow, the E94 is the worst of all and still unusable. The Elite has a 15v supply and everything runs at good speed, even the E94. Sprog website says power supply can be 12-15v so I'll try a higher voltage supply with the Sprog.

If I were to get another Sprog it would be Sprog 3 with built-in booster. I like running trains from my Android tablet through JMRI on the laptop but so far it usually has been a hassle.

Anyway, the E94 runs well and makes noises.
dileTTante

Postby CSD » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:57 am

Some of these E94's had a capacitor installed. Does yours? If so remove it. I had to do so to mine.
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:28 pm

dileTTante wrote:if the Sprog failed then why would I want to get another one that will fail?

Every product has failures....

dileTTante wrote:Second, my income is a government pension. $100 may be nothing to you but it is a significant cost for me.

It's not nothing. But it's the cheapest way to pc control that I know of. And actually I think it's even the cheapest way to simple dcc.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Next

Return to Electric / DCC