Blackout

Board rules and such. Read before posting.

Blackout

Postby Marquette » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:20 am

Thanks, Alex.

I'm not American, but if it happens in the US, an equivalent will happen here, too.

I fully support the blackout of this forum, too. (I'm also really hoping Facebook and Twitter will do so as well, like Google has said they will).

Good call!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Come on down and buy a Sputnik! We have miles and miles of Sputniks! They're friendly, they're cheap, they taste good! So buy a Sputnik today, because a Sputnik a day keeps the doctor away!
Marquette

Re: Blackout

Postby railtwister » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:49 am

Hi Alex,

I doubt that this form of protest will be very effective, because the only ones who will notice the blackout of TT Nut are the members of this limited group, and probably only the most actives ones of those few! This bill is primarily a gift for the big money entertainment producers (music, movies, & cable) to further help them protect their financial grip on that industry. It only helps illustrate the fact that the government is really here to serve the wealthy, not the little guy!

Do what you gotta do...

Bill in FL
railtwister

Postby jmass » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:00 pm

this bill is bringing an unholy alliances between groups that are usually at each others throats. railtwister, your right. this is hollywood and music industrie heavies looking to protect their profits. i support the blackout.
jmass

Postby Marquette » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:52 pm

The internet should be pretty dull on Wednesday anyways - Google, Yahoo, Twitter, Facebook, AOL, eBay, Paypal have all said they'd be blacking out, plus others too... if they all do, it'll be pretty quiet.

I'm not going to get into the details because it's far too political, but: it is NOT about piracy!

It is about freedom of speech and the potential for unrestricted censorship of the internet/information control.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Come on down and buy a Sputnik! We have miles and miles of Sputniks! They're friendly, they're cheap, they taste good! So buy a Sputnik today, because a Sputnik a day keeps the doctor away!
Marquette

Postby TinGoat » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:36 pm

I've spread the word on a few other forums...

Canada should be worried too... A lot of Canadian Websites are registered in the USA and could be shut down.
Happy Railroadin'
The Tin Goat
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Overlooking Fairbank on the Toronto Belt Line
Ontario, Dominion of Canada
====
The Ontario Narrow Gauge Show:
http://www.narrowgaugemadness.com
====
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog:
http://humbervalleysimcoerailway.blogspot.com/
====
"Do you mind being apathetic?"
TinGoat

Postby richardedmonds » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:17 pm

What is all of this really about, is America trying to single handedly shut down the Internet or is it simply following the UK in having realms and realms of pointless legislation to keep the oiks down in the gutter.
richardedmonds

Postby Arseny » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:40 pm

Marquette wrote:The internet should be pretty dull on Wednesday anyways - Google, Yahoo, Twitter, Facebook, AOL, eBay, Paypal have all said they'd be blacking out, plus others too... if they all do, it'll be pretty quiet.

It will be a good day to go outside and walk a little... without Internet! :smile:

...and to get you postal package BTW! According to my calculations it will come to me just at 18th January! :smile:
Arseny

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:12 pm

richardedmonds wrote:What is all of this really about, is America trying to single handedly shut down the Internet or is it simply following the UK in having realms and realms of pointless legislation to keep the oiks down in the gutter.

You only have to read Rupert Murdoch's latest tweets - some gibberish about Google and others stealing private copy written material because they link to stuff. He (or anyone - I could do it if I wanted) would have the power to shut down google or anyone else linking to something he owns. In general it's idiocy by people who haven't a clue of what the internet is and therefore aren't able to shift their companies' way of doing business. The only option they have left is to kill whatever they believe the threat is.

It's mainly Hollywood and a bunch of other media types. News flash - the internet is the new media. Adapt or die.
I've heard of many great leaders. I've yet to hear of a single great committee.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby richardedmonds » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:34 pm

Thanks M, that puts it all in perspective, you have a way of explaining what is probably ten thousand words of thought, into a few sentences of understandable words.
richardedmonds

Postby richardedmonds » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:37 pm

Sorry Alex just noticed the typo dunno how I did that
richardedmonds

Next

Return to About The Board